Sunday, February 18, 2007

Glory

I came home from church tonight and in trying to unwind from my normal Sunday-energy high, found the movie Glory on TV. I love this movie. The soundtrack is one of the best of all time and many of my favorite actors are in the film. It's hard to imagine a time when hate and bigotry was as blatant as is portrayed in this movie about the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Regiment during the Civil War. As soon as I think that thought though, I'm reminded that bigotry is not relegated to a time of slavery.

If we are not aware of the potential for racism and bigotry in each of us then we are as vulnerable as any of the racists in the movie. The Bible teaches us that we are completely depraved and our natural tendency is not towards love and acceptance but rather hate and bigotry. It is only because of God's gracious kindness towards us that we have been saved from our sin.

God keep us from the sin of racism. Whether black or white, Asian or Indian, we were all made by you and loved by you. May our church be a reflection of the congregation of worshipers around your throne, made up of every nation and every tribe.

--Collin

No comments: