Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Unbelieveable!!

There is something I've just got to talk about...

Last night on the news, I watched the story of a 17 year old uncle and two of his friends teaching his two preschool nephews how to smoke pot. The older boys made a video of this lesson, and were heard laughing in the background while the viewer (me, in this case) watched a two year old and a five year old smoke pot. That was disturbing, but the video wasn't what has completely perplexed me.

The news reporter interviewed the 17 year old. He had been arrested and charged with child endangerment. The boy said that he was sorry, but he really didn't see what the big deal was. He continued to say that he had been around "weed" his whole life and that it wasn't as bad as giving them meth or ice like some other people did to their kids. What he thought he did wrong was video tape the incident. He then went on to say that, at some point in their lives, these little boys would try "weed", so what's the big deal about having it now? Then when asked about his punishment, he said, "Prison is out of the question, maybe some probation or community service, but not prison."

HELLO!!!! What's the big deal?!!! Probation?!!!! Community service?!!! (Hear me screaming at the TV)

Then it hit me. This type of behavior was "normal" to him. This boy was completely bewildered about why this was a big news story. He has probably seen more crime and abusive behavior in his 17 years than I can even imagine. He didn't even realize he was hurting those children.

How did he get like that? When he was young, did a caretaker give him drugs? At what point in his life did the need to be high become so important that he lost all sense of rational thoughts? Can this 17 year old, high school drop out, drug user and dealer ever change? Can his "normal" change? How many generations will continue to live out this kind of hopeless, destructive behavior? Who or what is going to make a difference in this boy and boys like him?

OK, I know what your thinking. Probably what I'm thinking. We know the "Sunday School Answers" to these questions, but for me, those answers are just not enough. I have no doubt God is able to do anything he desires, I know that His power is limitless, I know He is the Redeemer. I know all that. I must admit though, that I feel a bit like the man in Mark 9:24. "I believe. Help now my unbelief."

How cool would it be to see God really move in this boy's life? I don't even know this kid, but he needs Jesus. His family needs Jesus.... not the pretty Jesus we find in pictures or storybooks but the Jesus who met with tax collectors, prostitutes, the demon possessed, and the outcast. He needs the Jesus that bore his sin on the cross and stands ready to receive him. He needs Jesus to be big. This boy needs the author of Truth to be light on the deception in his life. He needs his eyes opened. He needs to know that he is not unredeemable, that God knows the plans He has for him, plans for good, not evil. Imagine how much this boy's life would change if he truly knew that he was God's workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works.

I'm praying that God will draw this boy to Himself and change him from the inside-out. I am praying this boy becomes a leader to younger children rather than their destruction. I pray this boy surrenders to the call of Christ.

Will you pray with me?

--Ruthie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How much more important is our ministry to children and families "now", instead of waiting until they're teens in trouble to try to reach them? How much more important is our Awana ministry now? Teaching and training these young children to grow up to be teens that love and want to serve the Lord and take an active part in serving their church and becoming a "leader" to the other young children! Thanks for bringing this up Ruthie!