Sunday, March 11, 2007

Easter Candy, Lent, and Great Reading Material

Some people prepare for the celebration of Good Friday and Easter in different ways. Some marketing machines will capitalize on the season to entice shoppers to buy a new dress, buy their kids another toy, or get some pastel M & M's.

Other people will spend their time giving up something for Lent. This sacrifice on their part is an effort to remind them of the sacrifice Jesus made for them.

I have gotten into the habit of preparing myself for these days in a little different way. I try to find a book that focuses my mind on the cross or on the empty tomb (it's empty because there are no bones in it, sorry I couldn't resist a jab at the Discovery Channel's debacle).

Can I give you a couple of suggestions that may make this season special for you?
  • Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die by John Piper - a great read (my 2005 Easter book) with short chapters in case you don't have long periods of time to read

  • Six Hours One Friday by Max Lucado - vintage Max, he captures your imagination and heart in a special way (my 2006 Easter book). There are so many good ones by Lucado, but I love this one

  • The Cross of Christ by John Stott - a little longer, a little harder to read, but it's what I have chosen to read this year
This is going to be an awesome time of year. Let's prepare our hearts for God to speak to us in a powerful way.

--Curtis

No comments: