Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Persecution

As I was researching material for camp this summer I came across a web page that has made a huge impact on me. It is http://www.prisoneralert.com/. I hear from different people about persecution around the world all the time, but sad to say I usually move on to the next conversation and I never really give it any thought. As I read story after story of brave men and women who are risking their lives to spread the message of Jesus Christ, my heart was broken and I was well aware of just how little I do. We do not understand persecution. We live in a world of 42 inch LCD TVs, SUVs and freedom to attend Sunday morning worship service. While we are in our nice clothes, sitting next to our loved ones, Christians in Iran, China, Cuba, and many other areas around the world, are being placed into jail, beaten, raped and put to death just for the things we take for granted. I don't have an answer other than that it's time for us here and now to have a boldness about the gospel of Jesus Christ. Instead of being complacent in the absence of persecution in America, we should be encouraged in the face of freedom to share the gospel and the hope of Christ without shame, and to pray passionately for those who encounter affliction each day around the world.

-- Lee

No comments: