Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Walking through the hospital

I am reminded almost every time I go to the hospital to visit people that the hospital is a great equalizer. What do I mean? Well, there are things in our culture that everybody, rich or poor, strong or weak, young or old, take part in. When I walk by an ICU waiting room, I am reminded once again that we are ALL human, in desperate need of God to work in our lives. You see the tears and you hurt for the people shedding them, regardless of their status or position in life. No amount of status or money can keep you out of ICU, or cardiac surgery, or visits with an oncologist.

I thought about something else today while I was at Erlanger and Memorial. Just as sickness can affect all classes, all races, and both genders, sin also affects us all. It knows no difference. There are no good people or bad people, when it comes to sin. In fact, we are all sinners.

And yet, despite the sadness that I felt as I saw a family walk out of an ICU with tears, I am reminded that there once was a Man of Sorrows, who according to Hebrews 2 and 4 totally identifies with where we are. So, that is my prayer as I walk through the hospital:
"God meets these people with comfort of the Holy Spirit brought to us through Jesus Christ!"

Thankful our God is alive and comforting,
Curtis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Curtis, for being so sensitive to the needs of others.
I too, am thankful that we all stand on level ground at Calvary.