Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I would have chosen a different word...

I got an email that I am not sure I am comfortable with. The subject of the email was "What's Hot in Christian Music!" It was from a distributor of Christian books. I struggle with it, because that subject line sounds like something I would read on the iTunes store home page about a rock, pop, rap, or country star's music. Instead, I read about it in the context of Christian music.

It seems like we are prone to put artists on a pedestal. I know I am, because I do. I am influenced emotionally, mentally, and spiritually so much by music, that I appreciate those who help me in my walk with God. I have amazing respect for their ability to craft songs that help me glorify God and treasure Jesus Christ.

However, it almost seems like it can cross the line when we advertise something as "hot." Before I come across as judgmental, I should admit that I had the #1 suggestion of what is "hot" in Christian music. It was Blessed Be Your Name by Matt Redman. Awesome CD. I have listened to it this week, and thanked God for the cross because of the words of one of the songs.

I have no issue with the music, just uncomfortable with the commercialization and the packaging.

Still trying to sort it all out,
-Curtis


Another writer I respect was also sorting through this here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not so disturbed by the word "hot" as to the sensual way they pose some of the artists on the CD. To me this sends a mixed message.

Curtis Hill said...

I would agree. Somehow, this seems to be the opposite of "don't love the world or the things in the world."