Tuesday, July 10, 2007

God-thoughts and the Big Red Dog

This morning before I left the house, I joined my son in watching a few minutes of Clifford. For those of you, not so familiar with The Big Red Dog, you are missing oh-so-valuable life-lessons every morning at 7:30 am on the local PBS channel.

In the episode, the characters were kicking the ball up into the sky, and my son said, "They are kicking it so high that God is going to have to throw it back down to them." I have found that three year olds are great for helping us ask honest questions about God. So, I got the opportunity to talk about God's home, but the fact that God is with us.

However, I was reminded that often we think wrongly about God. Even as adults. Even as Christians. And the problem is that our "wrong" thoughts about God can have a devastating impact on our lives. If we think that God could never forgive us, we will always feel alienated and distant from Him. If we think that God could care less about sin, we will miss the power of what Jesus was doing on the cross. And how many more things do our God-thoughts impact?

The stakes are too high for us to take our thoughts about God too lightly. As I got a chuckle out of my 3 yr old, I gave myself a warning to get back in God's word, and open my heart in prayer so that I can know God.

Desiring to know God more,
Curtis

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The stakes are too high for us to take our thoughts about God too lightly."

One must assume, nay, can but assume that the stakes here mentioned are, themselves, but "wooden" stakes; that is, they are literal stakes. For if this is not so, the only other reasonable conclusion is that not only the author of this post; but, yes, the entire Kingdom of Southern Baptists is now endorsing that hitherto Independent Baptist practice of placing a wager.

That this is so, is not easily refuted. WE know the author of this post to be a willing participant in the Kingdom of the Southern Baptists by virtue of his willingness to serve on each of the the various Committees-on-committees, upon which he has served. WE know also that, contrary to popular belief, the author of this post absolutely refuses to drink coffee. (For while it is certain that not ALL who refuse coffee are Southern Baptists; by and large, the vast majority of these anti-Rubiaceae "bean" persons are.)

What, then, have we demonstrated beyond all refutation? Only this.

Number one, the author of this post is a Southern Baptist. Number two, the author allows the use of metaphors specifically wager-oriented. Number three, God created coffee; and those who don't care for it, do not, themselves, love God.

Adieu.

Carlito Esplandoza

Curtis Hill said...

I think someone (i.e. Carlito Esplandoza) might have too much time on their hands.

Valerie said...

Curtis,
I agree!

Carlito,
Does a cappuccino or hot chocolate count?

;-)