Friday, January 26, 2007

A Women's Retreat Survival Guide (for dads)

Every year, I get an opportunity to "bond" with Canaan. That is when Shawna and her friends go away on our annual Women's Retreat. As he has gotten older, it has become simpler (no 3 page checklist this year). But there are some things that never change...

Frozen Pizza(s) - this ranks above mac and cheese, and Hamburger Helper. No mess, Canaan loves it. This is a no-brainer. It's too easy, and you can't mess it up. I stopped by Wal-Mart and got 3 just to make sure I was covered.


Doughnuts for breakfast - although it should be noted that Dunkin Donuts are my favorites, Krispy Kreme will have to do (no Dunkin Donuts within 50 miles). Nothing like a nutritious breakfast to get the morning started. By the way, if the "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign is not blinking, I keep driving.


Cars - I bought this today. Great movie, and Canaan enjoys it (at least the first 20 minutes until he's on to other things). Some other good ideas for toddler entertainment can also be found here, and here.


ESPN - I observe bedtime at 8:00 sharp. That gives plenty of time to watch SportsCenter 100 times that would bore Shawna to tears (although she really is a trooper when it comes to my sports viewing). I may even watch one of my old golf videos. Other options are to watch Hoosiers or Remember the Titans for the 533rd time.

Golden Arches - when in doubt, go to "Old MacDonalds" as Canaan calls it. It's hard to mess up there. Chicken nuggets, play-land, happy meals, cheap toys, and a milk shake. Although this is last resort, it should not be underappreciated!

46 hours until mommy gets home,
--Curtis

No comments: